#Hashtag – You can love them or hate them but you can’t ignore them. It is so true in this social media age where hashtag is the most powerful tool around. Hashtags are everywhere; on every social media channel as well as included in all major advertising campaigns online and offline.
As a marketer it is very important for you to understand this single sign that connects millions of people to a single topic. Hashtag can expand your reach, boost you brand, target your customers, get your content visible, improve SEO, promote your event or market a specific product.
What are Hashtag?
Hashtags are words or group of words that are used with a sign (#) and without space between those words. It was first used in August 2007 by designer Chris Messina for his followers and became the first person to use hashtag on micro – blogging site twitter. #ChecktheFact – Twitter didn’t invent hashtag; but just popularized it. It was used by IRC (Internet Relay Chat) in 90’s to categorize items into groups.
Best practices to use #Hashtag
- Don’t span your content by using a lot of hashtag in it.
- Use single hashtag for a single campaign which speaks about the brand
- Use capital when you need them like #SocialMedia
- Keep a track of your hashtags
- Don’t use more than 3 hashtags in a single post or tweet
Tips to use hashtag for a successful brand promotion:
- Choose a unique Hashtag for your campaign – A unique hashtag certainly draws the attention of the audience. Also it helps others to join in on the conversation and engage them.
- Be trendy with your Hashtag – Trending hashtag are the easiest way to reach your target audience and engage them.
- Select related keywords – Using industry or brand-related keywords can also help you to grab people’s attention even if they are not following your hashtag conversation.
- Choose easy hashtag – It is important to use easy & short hashtag which helps your audience to easily connect with you.
- Use hashtag across channels – Use your hashtag on all your branding mediums online or offline which in returns helps you to engage and reach maximum users.
The basics of hashtags are easy to understand and are quite effective for your brand campaigns. Now that you know best practices, it’s time to get started with your hashtag marketing on your social media platforms!
Connect with us to engage and connect with your target audience.